The SPAWNERS mission is to protect the San Pablo Creek Watershed and inspire community appreciation and stewardship through advocacy, education, and habitat restoration. Our vision is:
- A community that understands the value of our creeks and is equipped with the knowledge to care for their health.
- A community that actively engages in hands-on stewardship activities such as restoration, community science, and educational workshops.
- A community that integrates watershed protection into their daily habits.
- Intact habitat from the ridges to the bay.
- Clean flowing water for fish, wildlife, and people.
SPAWNERS formed in the spring of 2000, when we brought together local residents to remove invasive ivy and trash from the creek banks at the El Sobrante Library. From there, our scope has grown to include restoring creek banks, removing invasive plant species, planting native species, hosting educational programs for students and adults alike, monitoring creek water quality, and making sure that all interested parties can learn about and appreciate the San Pablo Creek Watershed.